Can you get sued for scamming people using your work email?

What if someone used their work email to scam people? The scenario would be this:
The person used their old employers address to sell broken or messed up "widgets" to people using the old employers email address. The person did this while they were employed at that company and now they quit and got hired at another company. Even though they are not hired by that company anymore, can the old employer still sue this person? What if the old employer started getting complaints and threats of legal action from people this person has scammed and now the old employer wants to sue this person?

Also, could the victims of the scams sue the old company for negligence? Im asking as the victims were sold the same category of products that the company makes and these scams hurt the companys reputation

1. Your hypothetical is a bit incomplete, but I will do my best to give you an general answer.

If the person selling the messed up widgets sold them without the company's permission and behind the company's back then he/she can most definitely be sued by his/her old employer AND the victims of the scam. The victims of the scam may also be able to sue the old company for negligence as well but I would need more information to determine that. Indeed, the scam victims may be able to hold the old company liable under a theory of respondeat superior depending upon the circumstances. I hope this provides you with some insight. Feel free to call me if you wish to discuss this further.

2. Many fraud schemes come from people using corporate emails to hide their true Identity and many fraud Alerts are out there about this kind of activities. Very Serious Liabilities arise for the company whose email was used including class action lawsuits.

As a California Attorney and one of the very few that are Fraud Examiners ( CFE member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners) I receive every day alerts about new scams and I will advice you to call a California attorney that is a Fraud Examiner to assist .http://karamanlispowers.com

Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+.