Can you get ssi if you are scared of going outside and people you don't know

Asked about 1 year ago - Alpena, MI

my sister was murdered and now im scared to do anything like go out side to go some where. and I cant bring my self to meet new people cuz I think every one is the same as the person that murdered my sister

1. Mikel Edward Lupisella

7

Answered . If you can prove that you are unable to work any job in this Country on a regular and sustained basis, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 40 hours a week, then you may be eligible for SSI and/or SSD.
    It always helps if you are receiving treatment for your condition(s) as well.
    Even if you can not leave the house because of your condition, there are facilities that assist people with these conditions and there are therapists that will come to your house.
    For people under the age of 50, it is already an uphill climb but without medical documentation to support the allegation(s), it can be extremely difficult, if not a waste of time.
    You should contact a social security attorney to discuss the specifics of your case to determine if a claim exists.
    Most social security attorneys give free consultations.

2. Marc Aaron Asch

5

Answered . I'm not an expert on SSI but I will say this: please seek the assistance of a mental health professional to help you deal with your grief and fears.
    Your sister wouldn't want you to miss important life experiences.
    Best of luck and regards,
    marc

3. Ethan Seth Kaplan

Pro

6

Answered . You may qualify for SSI if you can show a medically determinable impairment, which in your case may be post traumatic stress disorder or anxiety disorder due to your traumatic event. A therapist or doctor will be able to identify the exact diagnosis. You then must show your impairments are so severe it prevents you from being able to perform a job at the minimum significant gainful employment level. An attorney can assist you in proving those items so your best bet would be to contact a disability attorney to discuss your case further as it is very case specific.

4. Lee Alan Thompson

4

Answered . It's possible. You'll need psychological evidence to support it.

5. Robert E. Harris Jr.

1

Answered . One thing is for certain, you are going to have to do more than discuss your problem on this site.