Skip to main content

Can you get section 8 housing if you get social security disability?

Jacksonville, FL |
Attorney answers 3


Receipt of section 8 will depend on your income, from Social Security and any other source. The welfare or social service agency that grants section 8 vouchers needs to evaluate your finances to determine that eligibility. You should go to their offices to apply.

This answer is not intended nor shall it be deemed to be the rendering of legal advice. The attorney response is based solely on the information provided, which is insufficient to give meaningful advice. These answers shall not be construed as part of the creation of an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it impose an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry. The Questioner has responsibility of obtaining legal advice from an attorney of their choosing and is urged to do so.


It will depend on whether you get SSDI or SSI, and the amount. My colleague is correct.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Thee Section 8 Program provids rent assistance to low income families. Typically, to be eligible here in Florida, your income must be 50% less than the median income for families in your area. However, there are other requirements the housing authority considers. You should contact your nearest Florida public housing authority so someone can guide you through the process and answer your questions with more detail.

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer