Can you get PTI in Florida if you have already had PTI in another state?

Asked 12 months ago - Davenport, FL

I completed PTi 8 years ago in NJ and have recently just been offered PTI in Florida for a 3rd degree felony. I am waiting to hear that I was accepted into the program here. I did not request PTI it was offered by the state attorney. I told my public defender i'm using that I have already done PTI in another state and they said this is Florida. I'm confused because I thought you could only have PTI once in a lifetime.

1. Michael Adam Haber

Pro

6

Answered . Both you and your PD are correct: You should only get PTI once... in Florida.

While your honesty is admirable, unless you want to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory I'd stop questioning your lawyer who is both trying to help you and is competent to help you.

Further, if I were you then I would immediately remove this post, pretend that it had never been posted and successfully complete PTI with my mouth both shut and smiling.

Anything that you post on Avvo (or similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, and as this is an open forum there is no attorney client privilege attached, so be careful (forewarned is forearmed.)

2. Jonathan Perazzo

4

Answered . PTI is a creature of the state attorney's office and offered at their discretion. Although they are bound by certain guidelines they still may have discretion in yoir case depending on the original crime and whether it is recognized in this state. You also may have come across a State attorney that hasn't bothered to do a full background check (you could possibly be bounced out if someine figures it out).

3. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

2

Answered . Speak with your attorney about this.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,