Can you get PTI in Florida if you have already had PTI in another state?

Davenport, FL |
Filed under: Criminal charges

I completed PTi 8 years ago in NJ and have recently just been offered PTI in Florida for a 3rd degree felony. I am waiting to hear that I was accepted into the program here. I did not request PTI it was offered by the state attorney. I told my public defender i'm using that I have already done PTI in another state and they said this is Florida. I'm confused because I thought you could only have PTI once in a lifetime.

PTI is a creature of the state attorney's office and offered at their discretion. Although they are bound by certain guidelines they still may have discretion in yoir case depending on the original crime and whether it is recognized in this state. You also may have come across a State attorney that hasn't bothered to do a full background check (you could possibly be bounced out if someine figures it out).

This advice is given for informational purposes only and is stated without an in depth analysis of the underlying facts and may be subject to potential unforseen errors based upon each cases unique facts. As such, this information should not be relied upon when making a decision as to your claim and no attorney client relationship has been formed. If, however, you choose to discuss your case further and employ my office to represent you we will fully analyze your case and help you defend your rights to the utmost extent of the law. For a FREE CONSULTATION please call (786) LAWS-411 and visit our Dade or Broward County offices.

Both you and your PD are correct: You should only get PTI once... in Florida.

While your honesty is admirable, unless you want to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory I'd stop questioning your lawyer who is both trying to help you and is competent to help you.

Further, if I were you then I would immediately remove this post, pretend that it had never been posted and successfully complete PTI with my mouth both shut and smiling.

Anything that you post on Avvo (or similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, and as this is an open forum there is no attorney client privilege attached, so be careful (forewarned is forearmed.)

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)

Speak with your attorney about this.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,