Skip to main content

Can you get married with just an expired passport? Risky?

Los Angeles, CA |

My fiance entered legally 3.5 years ago and has become out of status. EVERYTHING he has is expired including his passport...we want to get married but how do we go about doing so? We are in California. Can we get married with his birth certificate and expired passports?

Renewing passports takes atleast 1.5 years through Russia (it's a long, painful process)...we don't really want to wait but is waiting our best bet?

I heard you can get married with an International ID/Driver's License but I don't know if we should take the chance.

Any legal advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thank You and God Bless

IF HIS MOTHER (GC HOLDER) AND SISTER (USC) PETITIONED FOR HIM WILL IT REVOKE OUR MARRIAGE??? Should we just wait it out for 1.5 years and use a valid, government issued ID from Russia? Or should we do an ID from Russian Documentation Center ( I myself do not know how valid that document is) We have researched the Recorder's offices and all say documents must be VALID, nothing expired is accepted. I hope we are mistaken...... We just have time against us as it is, but if it's worth the wait we will wait....

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


In regards to California family law and ID requirements to marry, you could probably figure that out by calling where you get the marriage license and asking these same questions.

As to applying to petition for your future spouse with an expired passport, I have seen clients do it all the time.


If the Clerk will issue you the marriage license, you can get married. They can be fairly lax, give it a try.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer