Can you get in trouble for prank call someone? can it be consider harassment?

Garden Grove, CA |

my friend prank call a girl over a years ago and he was worry if he could get in trouble because this girl is in different state and they only met through myspace and when he prank call he doesnt say anything and just wait till she say hello and hang up... what is the sol on that and what could happen, it was over a years ago

and this girl live really far from him like in different state and she doesnt know much about him... they just met through the social network, and my friend hided his number too. my friend actually talk to this girl like 3 to 4 years ago but things doesnt work out so they stop talking but then 3 years later he just saw her number on his contact list so he just prank call her with number hidden and didnt say anything and just hang up and my friend also have no connection to the state that the girl live in like he never been there or have anything there, the only time he was there was because he have to wait for a flight to continue his destination

1. After a year there is little to be concerned about.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

2. I agree with counsel that enough time has passed that you're probably in the clear although that could change if it were to recur.

Ms. Johns can be reached at (866) 402-4038. Ms. Johns is a lawyer although she is not your lawyer unless and until you have consulted with her and signed a fee or letter agreement confirming her representation of you. This email does not otherwise constitute legal advice or create an attorney client relationship. Ms. Johns and her employees are not tax lawyers or financial advisors and do not give tax or financial advice of any kind. If you wish such services, please consult with the appropriate professional in that field.

3. Prank calls are covered under 653m of the Penal Code and are misdemeanors. The statute if limitations is one year, so it's probably behind you now. Don't start back up though.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.