Can you get fired from being put on light duty when you did not hurt yourself on the job?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lubbock, TX

I had been having knee pain since the beginning of 2011. In May 2011, I had an xray that showed nothing was wrong so I worked with this pain sometime in November I finally went to a clinic that could do something and I had an MRI done and the results were abnormal so I went back and my doctor said she was going to refer me to an orthopedic so I had my apt. In April 2012. At the end of March I started a job doing housekeeping told them about my problem and appt. And when I went I was informed that I tore my meniscus in my knee and was going to have surgery, physical therapy, and she put me on work restrictions. Afterwards I went to work and was sent home being told I'd be called back when they figure out what i can do. A week later was told i no longer have a job. Doesn't make sense to me!

My work restrictions were light duty and when they sent me home they said they didn't want to be responsible for it also.

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

1

Answered . I am a California attorney and not eligible to give legal advice in your state. My comments are for information only, based on federal law and general legal principles. YOUR STATE MAY HAVE ITS OWN LAWS THAT PROVIDE SIMILAR OR GREATER PROTECTION. If I refer to your state's laws, that only means I did a quick Internet search and found something that appeared relevant. You should not rely on any comment I make regarding your state's law. You MUST check with an attorney licensed in your state.

There are various sources of POTENTIAL protection related to your medical status.

There is limited protection if the illness or injury caused by a serious medical condition as that is defined by law.You may be protected under the Family and Medical Leave Act, 29 U.S.C. section 2101 et seq. (FMLA) if all of the following is true: (a) your employer has at least 50 employees who work within 75 miles of one another; and (b) you have worked for this employer for at least one year all together, even if not consecutively; (c) you have worked for this employer at least 1,250 hours in the immediately preceding year; and (d) you have a serious medical condition as defined by the FMLA.

Please look at my Avvo guide on the Family and Medical Leave Act, 29 U.S.C. section 2101 et seq. (FMLA) to see if that law applies in your situation: http://www.avvo.com/pages/show?category_id=6&pe....

If the coondition is due to a disability as defined by law, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, 42 U.S.C. sections 12101 et seq. (ADA) may provide some protection. Please look at my Avvo guide on the ADA: http://www.avvo.com/pages/show?category_id=6&pe....

Employment law is complicated and fact specific. You may wish to consult with an experienced plaintiffs employment attorney in your state. To find a plaintiffs employment attorney in your area, please go to the web site of the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA). NELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the country for attorneys who represent working people. The web site is www.nela.org, and you can search for attorneys by location and practice area.

Also, NELA has affiliates in every state and in many cities. On the NELA web site, you can look at the list of affiliates. Some attorneys will be listed in the affiliate membership list, some in the national organization membership list, and some in both. Being listed in one or both lists should not influence your selection because attorneys can choose whether or not to purchase the listing in the national directory. Each local affiliate has its own rules for listing.

I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.