Skip to main content

Can you get extradited from another country such as the Philippines for an aggravated DUI warrant misdemeanor in the US.

Polson, MT |

I have already been convicted of a DUI once before. This will be my second if convicted and this one is an Aggravated DUI. Basically i got stuck in the snow and was arrested at a gas station after a witness called the police saying they saw me walking from the car. There was no damage to anyone or anything but I am facing up to 1 year in jail from the Aggravated DUI and Obstructing a police officer (said I wont ID myself until I have been provided a reason and charged with obstructing for that and that alone.) My question is obviously I have 0 intensest in being treated like a murderer for getting my car stuck in the snow after leaving my own birthday party drunk. If I where to go to the Phillipines with my gf and start a business there would I still be in danger of being extradited.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Technically probably yes, but the Justice Department is not going to expend the resources involved in extraditing you from another country for such a small offense. The specifics are governed by the extradition treaty between our two countries, of which I am not familiar. However, the justice department is not going to pay its lawyers to fight to extradite you and then pay the US marshals to have you transported back in custody.

  2. You would have to ask a lawyer from the Philippines what their extradition laws are with the U.S. An active warrant, regardless of seriousness could get you deported. Instead, you may want to think about the rest of your life, and running away from this. Instead, investing some money into a good DUI defense attorney may be well worth the rest of your life. Our firm handles Ag DUI charges in Polson. Why don't you give us a call for a free consultation to see if we can help you.

    licensed attorney in Montana. Your specific state laws may be different.

  3. So, you think you can move to the Phillipines and start a business and not have to face the criminal charges? You should face the charges, not think of fleeing to avoid them. Get counsel.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida. If you wish to contact the above attorney, see his profile at this website.

DUI topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics