Can you get disability for grade 1 spondylolisthesis. It's very painful.

Asked 10 months ago - Hartford, CT

I also have a bipolar disorder but doing ok. I am 53 years old. I cannot sit, stand or walk for too long.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Paula Brown Sinclair

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Medical eligibility for Social Security disability benefits is not based on any diagnosis. It requires proof that the impairment(s) precludes working at any kind of job available in the national economy. One must also have "insured status." An application for benefits can be filed online or at any Social Security office. A disability evaluator will complete and interview and gather a great deal of information. Medical records will be obtained and a written decision entered. If benefits are denied, a consultation with an experienced Social security disability practitioner should be obtained for a full case review.

    Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Yolanda Navarrete


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Ms. Sinclair. That being said I have had much more success with individuals who suffer from bipolar disorder, than with just the back.

    973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely... more
  3. Mikel Edward Lupisella

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Also, if you are not insured for SSDIB, you may be eligible for SSI.
    SSI is a disability program for people who are not insured but it is dependent on household/spousal income and assets.
    You can contact your local field office if you are unsure whether you are insured for Title 2 benefits. They are located at 960 Main Street, 2nd Floor, Hartford, CT 06103 (1-877-619-2851).
    If you are not insured for Title 2 (SSDIB), then inquire about the SSI and tell them you would like to set an appointment to apply for SSI.
    SSI applications are only taken over the phone with the 800-772-1213 national number or at your local field office.
    If you are insured for Title 2, as Ms. Sinclair indicated, you can file online at
    If you apply for either or both programs, do not get discouraged if you are denied because this is common.
    You should, however, file an appeal and request a hearing if you are denied. This appeal/request for hearing must be filed within 65 DAYS from the date stamped on the denial.
    You might want to look for an attorney that will assist you from the beginning.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,843 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,843 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering