Can you get denied if you apply for the deferred action even if you meet the requirements?

Asked over 1 year ago - Leander, TX

I want to know if there is any possibilities that I wont get approved in other words, is it in a judge's hands?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is in USCIS' jurisdiction and not in a judge's.

    Yes, you still could be denied even if you meet all the requirements of you do not provide proof of your physical presence in the US during each of the required years, if the allocations are badly
    prepared, if you have missing documentation, and/or you have a criminal record, with 3 misdemeanors or a prior felony conviction.

    If you are confused, best to have an immigration lawyer prepare your DACA application.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. Rodrigo Ivan Canido

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hello,

    First, it is not a judge you will review the deferred action application but a USCIS official. And to answer your question, there is a possibility that your application could get denied even if you meet the requirements, although highly unlikely from my experience. Deferred action is a discretionary measure and the person who reviews your application will take in to account your entire application together before making a final decision, good luck.

    LORIC, Immigration Solutions

    Rodrigo Ivan Canido
    Managing Attorney

    3333 Bowers Ave, Suite 130
    Santa Clara, CA 95054
    Tel: 650-279-5933

  3. Stephanie Scarborough

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. USCIS is responsible for adjudication. The Judge will not be involved. Moreoever, except in issues of public safety USCIS will not refer cases to the Judge. Thus, if you meet the requirements you should be approved without issue. Ensure you document the physical presence well, however., as you must show the required physical presence in the US.

  4. Chad Michael Brandt


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues here. You need to consult an experienced immigration attorney.

    Chad M. Brandt
    Brandt Immigration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,119 answers this week

2,951 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,119 answers this week

2,951 attorneys answering