Can you get arrested over so called cyber harassment on facebook?

Hello, while on facebook a few years ago, my old friend from college was a suggested friend, so I added her. I recently tried to send messages to this person and she replied. Then I continued replying and got no replies. I then was posting on her wall and I noticed she did not reply for some time. But all of a sudden I got a post on that wall saying please leave me alone now, and I wont press charges. What charges? What? Isnt harrasment when someone makes threats or insults or is trying to wreak some sort of benefit from another person? I was trying to talk to an old friend.

Los Angeles, CA -

Pamela Koslyn

Pamela Koslyn

Business Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

No, you can't arrested for this, and no civilian can "press charges," only a District Attorney can do that after someone reports a crime to the police and the police in turn refer it to them for prosecution.

Facebook is like any other form of communication with anyone, except that people seem to take it extremely seriously and seem to make it a big part of their interaction. If someone ignores your contact , take the hint and leave them alone.

Barry Franklin Poulson

Barry Franklin Poulson

Internet Lawyer - Hillsdale, MI

You should have figured out at the time of the 2nd ignored message that no contact was desired. Further contact after that was insensitive. It was not, however, a crime. So, learn the nature of online boundaries from this incident. There is no way I can see for any charges.

Scott E. Chapman

Scott E. Chapman

Internet Lawyer - Las Vegas, NV

This is another example of people on the Internet just spouting off to generate fear in the recipient. I don't think your actions would rise to the level of harassment and doubt very seriously that any local DA would pursue this case. But yes, learn your etiquette online.