Can you get a real estate license if you have a DUI?

Asked 7 months ago - West Covina, CA

I got the DUI in 2004. I completed all my requirements. In 2008.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

4

Answered . The law (CA Bus & Prof Code) allows the BRE (Bureau of Real Estate) to deny your application based on your prior conviction, even though it is a single offense almost a decade ago. But the law also requires a specific consideration and weighing of all of the facts and circumstances underlying your prior offense, and all of the statutory factors of rehabilitation and mitigation that be identified to support your license application.

You may want to consult an experienced CA professional/occupational licensing attorney to assess in advance the likely outcome of your application. If the prospects for your application are poor, an experienced licensing attorney can advise you as to how to quickly and effectively improve your potential for a successful application.

Christine McCall
    License Advocates Law Group LLP
    Christine.McCall@LicenseAdvocates.com

2. Glenn Michael Smith

3

Answered . Yes...I have had success in the issuance of professional licenses not only with one DUI but two. You need to repond to the DRE with valid reasons why the DUI will not affect your fiduciary obligations as a licensee. Question: Are your 2008 requirements for licensure still valid?

3. Ethan Patrick Meaney

Pro

2

Answered . Attorney McCall has given an excellent answer. If you have any additional questions I suggest you give her a call. Good luck.

This is not intended as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship exists because of this response.