Can you get a liquor license with a DUI offense

Asked over 4 years ago - Puryear, TN

A person I know just leased a building to serve alcohol by the drink and they both have a recent DUI on their record, Their first for the both of them. Can they still apply for a liquor license in TN?

1. Edward Stephen Ryan

Answered . Liquor license are controlled by the State of TN, however a criminal back ground check will be done and and criminal violation can keep you from getting your license. A DUI in particular is a flag. While it may not prohibit you from getting the license there will be added steps.

2. Victor Wallace Carmody Jr.

Answered . Liquor licenses are usually under the control of the Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) type state agency.Please check on the internet at Tennessee.gov for the published state regulations on obtaining a liquor license.I ,however would believe that any criminal conviction on the application would not help them,and I know that all applications to any state agency for any type of license will have a background investigation as a part of the approval process.

Victor Carmody

3. John Hunsucker

Answered . Start with this link:

http://www.tennessee.gov/abc/llicensing%20-%20l...

It may also depend on whether the DUIs were misd or felonys and whether they were convictions.

john Hunsucker
    www.okdui.com