Skip to main content

Can you get a free lawyer for child custody cases?

Johnson City, TN |

My ex boyfriend is taking me to court for sole custody of our baby.Can he get a free lawyer or does he have to pay for one?He rarely works,has no money,and lives with his brother and sleeps on his couch.

Attorney Answers 1


He will not get a court-appointed lawyer and will have to hire one, if that's what you mean. Of course there's always a slim possibility that he could talk someone into representing him for free but it's unlikely. I would hire a lawyer to defend you though in any case since the custody of your child is at stake.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics