Can you get a felony theft (under $500.) Reduced to a misdemeanor in Missouri?

Saint Peters, MO |

Daughter used her friends parents credit card without their permission to take cash out at an ATM. She sys her friend gave her permission, but his parents pressed charges against him and he is in jail .the police are talking to my daughter and she may still be arrested.

1. Let your attorney negotiate a plea if she's charged.

Answers are for informational purposes, not legal advice for your specific situation. www.appealsandhabeas.com

2. A prosecutor is entitled to reduce a charge. Your daughter/daughter's friend need to hire an attorney or apply for a public defender attorney. The attorney will negotiate with the prosecutor in trying to reduce the charges. It may involve pitting your daughter v her friend or vice versa. both need attorneys. do NOT talk to a prosecutor on your own.

NEVER describe your facts in an online forum. I have CONFIRMED there is at least ONE county prosecutor that is a member of this site. My statements are my opinion solely based on the information provided, and that opinion can be wrong if your facts are different than what I believed them to be. If you have any further questions, you can contact me at 636-532-1400 or through my website http://mcmichael-logan.com

3. It depends upon the prosecutor.

4. Sure. Depends upon your counsel and the facts at hand.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.

5. First; your daughter should not talk to the police !!! They are looking for something to charge her with and will use anything she says against her. They cannot be trusted under these circumstances.
    I do not have enough information to determine her possible criminal liability. But to answer your question: the prosecutor has very braud latatude to charge any crime he believes fit the facts. That would include what is called a lesser included offense. That is an offense that is simular to the felony charges but has a lower penalty. Misdemeanor stealing is a lesser included offense of felony stealing. It is up to the prosecutor.