Can you get a bond without a court date?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kennesaw, GA

My friend is currently being held in a detention center with a hold from ICE. I know that an attorney has to be hired to request a bond, but I wanted to know if that would be possible without a court date. Right now he has not been given a court date or any information about what is next in his case.

1. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

2

Best Answer

Answered . To get bond you normally will need to do a motion for custody re-determination and that must be a written motion submitted to the Immigration Judge. The IJ then sets a date (usually 7-10 days after the submission of the motion. Please be advised that there is sometimes circumstances where ICE releases people but that is rare. The normal way to get bond is through a scheduled bond hearing before the IJ and a competent attorney should be consulted. Do not confuse bond with parole. Consult a competent AILA attorney who handles detention issues.

2. Karen-Lee Pollak

1

Answered . Yes he may be eligible for bond without a court date.

3. Christian Schmidt

1

Answered . It is first up to ICE to deceide whether and on what terms they would release him from custody. Only if ICE refueses to release your friend, must he request a bond hearing before an Immigration Judge.