Can you file workman's comp for stress related health issues. That the stress from your job is making you very sick?

Lawrenceville, GA |

Small heart attack feb 2012, abnormal mestral bleeding 2009, constant illness and infections from low immune system, all Doctors say is all these are stress related and my option is to find another job but in this economy it is not possible. What can I do and what are my options? All this is wearing me very thin and I am suffering from extreame burnout on the job from all the stress.

If your doctor will state that the heart attack came from aggravation of your underlying heart disease due to stress from the job you have a chance of obtaining workers compensation for it. It sounds like you are still working. If your doctor will say that you cannot work at this job any longer due to the stress, you may be able to obtain workers compensation disability. These cases are very difficult to prove. Your employer may not want to keep you on the job after you file the claim and in most circumstances they can let you go for just filing it. I will be glad to answer any questions. 404-365-0102.

I don't practice WC Law in your state but I can tell you in Virginia where I have practiced WC Law for 35 years this would not be compensable. I suggest you contact an experienced WC Lawyer in your state. I still think you will have a very difficult time proving the job caused your physical ailiments but check with an attorney.

This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is not meant and should not be construed to be the formation of an attorney client relationship. I practice Virginia Workers compensation law and Social Security Disability law.

If you were a federal employee and the heart attack arose out of and in the course of the employement, you could get time loss benefits. You would need to submit a statement setting out the compensable work factors and arrange for the submission of a narrative medical report with a reasoned medical opinion on the relationship between the employment and the diagnosed condition. Under the FECA stress claims are disfavored and diffcult but not impossible to win. You need to seek help from a local attorney or union steward. Get help. Do not delay. There are time limites. Good luck.

Jesse E. Barrow III

Jesse E. Barrow III

You could get clmpensation if the mental stress caused a physical injury as seems to be the case here. At present the law does not allow for compensation for pure psychic stress