Can you file PTO or sick leave while recovering from injury in a car accident?

Asked over 1 year ago - Milpitas, CA

I was out for almost 2 weeks now due to car accident and was advised to rest while being treated to moment I went to doctor. Now, I plan to file PTO(Paid Time Off) or sick leave to collect paycheck until I recover and start working which should be soon. How will filing PTO/sick leave affect my claim for injury like wage loss compensation? Will I still be entitled for this wage loss compensation claim even I used my PTO/sick leave while I'm away from work? Please help and advise!

1. Bradford Charles Brereton

Pro

11

Answered . Generally, if you are injured through the fault of another, you are entitled to make a claim for full compensation for all of your injuries. If you are required to miss work, or use vacation time, or use PTO or sick leave, you are entitled to claim damages for loss of work. Whether you received PTO or vacation or sick leave is not directly relevant. You are supposed to be compensated for missing work and the missed compensation. In all cases, you should consult an attorney to get the full value of your claim from the opposing insurance company.

Brad C. Brereton
    SantaCruzLawyers.com
    (831)429-6391

2. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

10

Answered . You are entitled to recover your loss wages. If you use your vacation time, sick days or other paid leave, your are entitled to be made whole. You would not have used that time but for the accident. Best of luck. Please visit my Guides below:
    http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/94709-ca-manuel-j...

3. Mark Joseph Zanobini

10

Answered . Yes.

4. Robert Bruce Kopelson

9

Answered . If you can prove the time off was reqd due to the injuries, the number of hours and your hourly benefits, you can claim the amount even if you used other benefits so you werent out of pocket. The Calif Supreme Court has yet to throw out the collateral source rule in this situation.

5. David B Pittman

Pro

8

Answered . Your argument is that you are using sick time for an accident that was someone else's fault. You will not have that paid sick time to use for other illnesses because you used it for this accident. Hire a lawyer to help you with this so you make sure you are compensated for all the losses you sustained.

Pro

8

Answered . Kopelson explained it well.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  7. Steven Mark Sweat

4

Answered . If the employer provides PTO time, they must allow you to use it for sick leave if this has been their policy with other employees. Obviously, you could have used this PTO time for other reasons but for the accident and, therefore, you should seek this as part of your loss of earnings damages in your personal injury suit. If you have not done so already, you should retain a personal injury attorney to seek this along with the cost of medical treatment, pain and suffering damages and anything else to which you may be entitled.

8. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

4

Answered . Your inquiry goes to the legal status of collateral source payments and how they may affect your ultimate recovery against a liable defendant. Collateral sources are being treated differently depending on what state the accident occurs in. Common law would not permit the defendant to benefit from your foresight in obtaining sick leave benefits etc. The common law has been modified in some jurisdictions where the insurance industry has lobbied for the defendant (actually the insurance company) to get the benefit of your foresight. You will need to consult with a personal injury attorney in the jurisdiction where the accident occurred to determine the current status of collateral source payments in your jurisdiction.

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.