Can you file for unemployment six months after termination?

Staten Island, NY |
Filed under: Employment

I was on std from 2/2/09 to 8/1/09. Initially I was denied ltd and am waiting for determination on appeal. My employer held my job until 10/9/09 because of imminent downsizing (they could not fill the position) so that is my effective termination date due to health problems. I did go on the dept of labor site sometime in October but answered truthfully and it indicated that I was not eligible for unemployment benefits as I was unable to work. So nothing further was pursued there. I should hear on the appeal in 30-45 days. If I am again denied I will HAVE TO go back to work even through I am still ill due to finances. Can I still file for unemployment six months after the termination date?

1. When seeking unemployment benefit compensation you should file as soon as you become eligible. Otherwise you may miss out on unemployment. If you wait several months after your termination to file, you may not be able to claim for the months that have already passed.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer?"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-tell-my-lawyer

Online we cannot know what the other details are going on in your case because online we cannot find out those details. You may need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This observation is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only and is not like communication with a lawyer with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides