Can you file for bankruptcy without a lawyer? I'm totally broke...absolutely no money, and bills up to here!!

Quincy, MA |
Filed under: Bankruptcy

I'm retired and living on SS. i have medical problems and tons of bills.

Do not file bankruptcy without a lawyer. Bankruptcy is a complex process. If you really cannot afford legal services, contact the Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Boston Bar Association. They can determine your eligibility for free legal services and get you connected to an trained bankruptcy attorney that can provide you assistance. The link is below.

Good luck!

Bill McLeod

While I agree with Mr. McLeod that you should not file without an attorney, it is possible to do.

Mr. Larkin is licensed to practice law in CA and is located in San Diego. His response here does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Larkin strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about the specifics of their case.

Filing for bankruptcy is a complex process, and by doing it yourself you may miss out on some benefits that bankruptcy provides. Even worse, your filing could be rejected if not properly submitted.

VLP of the Boston Bar is the best way for you to handle your problem. Because bankruptcies in general are up almost 40% over last year, you may have to wait awhile before VLP can assign a pro bono attorney to your case. But the wait will be worth it.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt