Can you file for bankruptcy on a civil lawsuit?

Seattle, WA |

if you lose a civil lawsut and are forced to pay an amount of money can you file that for bankcruptcy.

In general yes, however some categories of civil wrongs that are intentional or highly reckless (like injuries caused in a DUI) cannot be discharged.

My best advice to you is to seek the advise of a competent bankruptcy lawyer. Most bankruptcy lawyers offer a first visit free consultation. Make sure that you select an attorney that has been practicing law for a considerable period of time and who's emphasis is on bankruptcy law. When you call to make an appointment be sure to find out what documents you should bring to your meeting in order to get the maximum benefit from your free consultation.

I agree with attorney Hankins' answer and would add that you can't just file on "a" debt. You file on everything, all the creditors and all your assets are looked at.

Good luck with your situation.

Matthew Williamson