Can you file charges or have any recourse for someone who makes false child abuse/neglect allegations?

Asked about 3 years ago - Frederick, MD

My ex has filed multiple false child abuse/neglect allegations against me in what is clearly an attempt to obtain full custody. Do I have any legal recourse to stop these false charges and/or take legal action against my ex?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Theodore B Godfrey

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . A great deal depends on your proof but if you can show that the allegations were false, made with malice and with the intent of abusing you in a judicial process, you may have a claim theoretically for abuse of process or malicious prosecution under Maryland law. In general, judges despise lawsuits about lawsuits and look upon them disfavorably. Do consult an attorney soonest.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,286 answers this week

3,140 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,286 answers this week

3,140 attorneys answering