Skip to main content

Can you file bankruptcy on an unpaid credit card after you have received a judgment from the court?

Shreveport, LA |

I have an unpaid credit card and I am unemployed. I have been sent a judgment from the court on this issue and I am wondering if it is too late to file bankruptcy on this or what can I do if i do not have the money to pay what the judgment says I have to pay.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


A judgment can be discharged in bankruptcy. Good luck.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.


I agree. Just be sure to consult with an attorney so that they can make sure this is the right time for you.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here. Please visit my web site: for more information about my services.


As long as the judgment did not result from a fraud claim, you should be ok to discharge the judgment in a bankruptcy. Talk to an attorney in LA to figure out if this makes sense for you.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer