Can you file a second police report ?

Asked 5 months ago - San Jose, CA

I was in a hit and run. I filed a police report when it happened but having any info on the suspect. Now I know who the suspect is and that person is not cooperating and in denial about it. It's a friend's sibling. What should I do? Should i file a second police report in order to get the other party to release the information and to let the police deal with it so that my insurance can do something about it? Without the info of the other party my insurance is not able to do anything. But for sure now i know the suspect.

1. Thomas Westwood Degn

Pro

9

Answered . Definitely call the police and give them the information that you learned. They should interview the suspect and add a supplemental page to the report.

2. Bradford Charles Brereton

Pro

9

Answered . Yes, give the new information to the police and to your insurance company. If you were injured, retain a personal injury attorney.

3. Robert Bruce Kopelson

7

Answered . Provide the info to the police. Be aware that SJPD is not very responsive unless this was a serious injury crash. They claim to be understaffed. You may need the help of an atty.

Pro

8

Answered . You can provide the new information to get the report updated. Turn it over to your insurance company to sort out.

5. David Ian Schoen

Pro

8

Answered . Provide the information to the police and your insurance company.

6. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

6

Answered . You should notify the police and your insurance carrier. If you were injured as a result of the accident, you may want to consult with an experienced car accident attorney to begin the recovery process. Many attorneys offer free consultations to review cases and discuss legal options. I wish you the best of luck.

7. Anahit N. Akbarian

6

Answered . You may file a supplemental report with the police department that prepared the first report.

8. Charles P. Ward

Pro

7

Answered . Just notify your insurance company. You could contact the police and give them the extra information. Good luck.

*This information should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.
  9. Allister Rex Liao

Pro

4

Answered . Yes, if you have new information regarding a crime (such as a hit and run in your instance), then you should contact the investigating police department and provide this new information. This new information probably would not result in a 2nd police report. Rather, the information will probably result in a supplemental report that is added as part of the original police report.

Best of luck!