Can you file a motion to suppress witness statement if you and your victim saying that they heard wrong.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Allentown, PA

Withness said they heard her call me baby during our issue she saying she didn't , that also stated we where arguing over her phone in I said it was my phone.

1. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

5

Answered . NO. Motion to Suppress is filed in an effort to demonstrate that evidence was obtained unlawfully, usually in violation of a costitutional protection. What you describe is a conflict in testimony between/among witnesses. Conflicts are what trials are all about and they are resolved by the jury.

2. Robert C. Keller

5

Answered . A motion to suppress would not be appropriate. It is a trial issue for the jury to determine what he true statement was. You need the vest criminal attorney possible to be able to effectively examine and cross examine witnesses to show that reasonable doubt exists. Good luck to you.

3. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

5

Answered . You can file any motion you want, but I know of no attorney who would file a motion to suppress on this. A motion to suppress is used when the evidence is illegal; not when it is mistaken, wrong, or a lie. That is what trials are about.

I expect your lawyer already told you this. If you do not have a lawyer, you need one. Now.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com

--- Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/CriminalDefenseMadTown

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police
    http://addbalance.com/police.htm

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)
    http://addbalance.com/miranda_rights.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

Click on the “more” link below for more important information about the answer and AVVO.

4. Ross Carl Goodman

Pro

5

Answered . You lawyer would elicit all the facts on cross examination which tend to suggest why she may have heard it the wrong way and agrgue to the jury that she could have been wrong in what she heard.