Can you file a motion for title to a vehicle that was stolen and resold and had its title transferred to the buyer's name?

Asked 4 months ago - Narberth, PA

If a car was first stolen and then sold to a buyer and then, the original owner, through the help of the police, found the car and the police had the car impounded but the buyer refuses to transfer the title to the original owner, can the original owner sues the buyer and at the same time, in the same suit, file a motion for title to vehicle?

1. James W. Zerillo

Pro

2

Answered . The legal action that may help accomplish the transfer is called a Writ of Replevin which alleges that the plaintiff has a legal right to the vehicle against a defendant who is wrongfully withholding it.You should consult an attorney locally who has some experience in these types of cases for further details.

2. William Paul Brogley

Pro

2

Answered . Just let me add that, regardless of the value of the vehicle, this action must be filed in the Court of Common Pleas, presumably Montgomery County if you are in Narberth. Please feel free to contact me directly if you want to discuss how to proceed.

3. Ryan Michael Davidson

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, you can, and my colleague has correctly identified the kind of action you'd file.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.