Can you file a motion for ineffective counsel on yourself.

Allentown, PA |

I represented my self at trial and lose didn't know what I was doing just thought if I explain what happen to the jury they would had seen I was telling the truth but they didn't they believe the DA I was believing the DA .

1. No. You cannot claim that you, representing yourself pro se, were ineffective. Moreover, because you likely failed to object to inadmissible evidence, you would likely not be successful on appeal because you likely failed to preserve issues for appellate review.

If you have not been sentenced, you may wish to consider consulting with an attorney to help make the best case possible to avoid severe consequences.

2. There is really little I can add to the outstanding response you received from Attorney Morgan. If I'm not mistaken today's question is another version of one you posted within the past few days. As you clearly understand now, your decision to represent yourself was a huge mistake. While I agree with the suggestion made to consult with an attorney to see if anything can be salvaged at this point, I would not get my hopes up if I were you.

3. It's very difficult to establish an ineffective assistance of counsel even if you had an attorney at law as a counsel. Your decision to proceed pro se was undoubtedly made with eyes open and you were fully aware that the Constitution provided you a right to have an attorney defend you free of charge if you could not afford it. You were undoubtedly warned by the Court not to represent yourself pro se and that you were aware of the possible pitfalls of doing so.

Your idea that the jury would believe you rather than the DA because you believed to be telling "the truth" was naive and most lawyers would have told you so, that you needed a more compelling defense than "I didn't do it". Now you are not in any position to claim that you did not receive effective assistance or derive any benefit from the fact that you screwed up your own trial worse than any attorney would have done it. You have neither legal or equitable grounds to make this claim.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".