Can you file a law suit against the local news or local police department for defemation of charactor or public embaressment?

Middletown, OH |

Was arrested/not yet covicted of F5 drug abuse and petty theft. The local news then ran a story for 3-4 days saying MPD, Middletown Police Dept. busted a "Heroin Ring" at the local walmart. They associating me with 3 to 4 people that i have never heard of or met complete with grouping our pics together. If i'm not mistaken a "Heroin Ring" is a group of people selling and moving large amounts of the drug. Will not deny the fact that i was a user but have never been involved in a so called, "Ring". Are they aloud to do that and would I possibly have a case?

1. You can sue anyone for anything. Will you win is the question. I would not post any admissions on line as they CAN be used against you. In general I would say your chances of prevailing based on what you wrote here are low. You need to have an injury as a result of statements made or written, also they cannot be true. Consult an attorney. Good luck.

The above information is not, nor intend to be, legal advice. You SHOULD consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Based on this response no attorney-client relationship has been formed. If your matter is in Cuyahoga County or surrounding counties, we invite you to contact us. Please visit our website at www.kirnerandboldt.com. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information until such time and attorney-client relationship is formed. Attorneys in this firm are only licensed to practice in the state of Ohio and have no specific information as to the laws and rules of other states and none of the information provided is intended to be applied to the laws of other states.

2. Probably not.

New organizations can report police activity--Constitutionally protected action: Freedom of the Press.

FYI, a herion ring MAY include suppliers and users, who together are parties to movement, sale and use of the product.

If you have an attorney, contact that individual lawyer about your options and circumstances. He/she will know best what you will and won't be able to allege.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.