Can you enforce a verbal agreement in florida?

Asked over 5 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

If you have a verbal agreement for buy something and the person refused to go through with the sale and you only had an verbal agreement can it be enforced?

1. Gust G Sarris

Answered . Yes... But is the contract for something that is legal? Has the person partially performed on the contract? Do you have any witnesses. If you sue you will have the burden of proof so you must prove more than 50% that the other person is wrong. If both of you are equally believable the judge must rule for the other party as you have not meet your burden of proof. As a practical matter - is the other party worth suing? do they have money even if you win? Good luck and I hope this helps!

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . A verbal agreement can be enforced but proving what the agreement was is the big problem which is why a written contract is preferred. Some oral contracts cannot be enforced because of the Statute of Frauds. Because you list no details, it is not possible to determine if the oral agreement you are asking about is or is not barred by the Statute of Frauds.

You may consult a lawyer in your locale (I am in Chicago, not FL).

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-cho...

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-...

Too many variable exist to predict the outcome. Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

3. John M. Kaman

Pro

Answered . Oral contracts are just as valid as written contracts but they are more difficult to prove. The statute of frauds, mentioned by my colleague, requires a writing in certain kinds of transactions: real estate is one, and a sale of goods in excess of $500 is another.