Can you counter sue when contesting a parking citation for legal expenses; discovery, time, parking fees in traffic court?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Henrico, VA

Issued a bogus parking ticket (parking attendant gave an unwarranted citation to collect parking fees.) There is clear and convincing evidence that no law or ordinance was violated. Questioned attendant, couldn't give me reason for citation. However, I have to wasted much time and money to gather my prove -on top of - have to go to a court hearing to be found not guilty. As pro se, I want to be reimbursed for discovery time, court fees, parking fee, copies of material evidence and expenses for preparation of hearing. It has been a financial burden -money I would have never spent if I was not issued bogus citation. Can I request reimbursement from Judge in traffic court?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. John M. Kaman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No.

  2. Michelle Teresa Dellino


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No. Traffic court is not the place to attempt to recoup such costs.

    This answer is my personal opinion and is offered for informational purposes only. This is not a legal opinion,... more

Related Topics

Traffic Tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Careless Driving

39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty... more

Parking tickets

A parking ticket is given for illegal parking, which can include parking in a no-parking zone, not paying the parking meter, or blocking a driveway or sidewalk.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now