Can you change your household while waiting for green card interview?

Asked 4 months ago - Youngsville, LA

On our forms we put we were living with my husband's father and he is a financial sponsor on the forms as well. We now live with his aunt because she has more room for us as a couple. Is this ok or are we breaking any rules? We don't know if we can tell the interviewer this information or not.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can amend the form all the way until the case is adjudicated.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. Jeremy Michael Anderson


    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . Yes. You can file an AR-11 form electronically. Alternatively, you can call the uscis customer service hotline listed at A caution,however:uscis is a giant government agency that generally is slow to change. It is better to maintain a constant address until your matter has concluded to avoid delivery problems. I say this in spite of the new tracking policy implemented by uscis. You should also know that if you hire counsel, and counsel has submitted a properly completed g-28 form, your hired counsel will receive a copy of all uscis communication. Counsel will not, however, receive an actual card on your behalf.

  3. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . The existing Affidavit of Support from your father in law could be withdrawn at the time of your I-485 interview, and a new affidavit of support from your aunt (with all supporting documents) could be presented at the time of the interview. You would not be "breaking" any rules! Make sure to update your address within 10 days of moving by electronically filing a Form AR-11 Address Change notification at and keep a copy for your records.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  4. Zhulmira Enith Paredes

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You should update your address with USCIS using form AR-11. As far the interview goes, the interviewing officer will review your application with you, including current address and that is your opportunity to inform him or her that you have moved. You are not breaking any rules so long as you take the appropriate steps to notify USCIS.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,991 answers this week

3,122 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,991 answers this week

3,122 attorneys answering