Can you change status of a visa waiver if you are in the US and have a current fiancee visa pending with USCIS?

Asked about 2 years ago - Pittsburgh, PA

Have a current fiancee visa pending (engaged to a US citizen) with USCIS as of September 2012. Arrived into US mid October on the visa waiver program and have to leave by mid January (3 months). Previously spent 1 year in the US from August 11 to August 12 on a B1 visa which was extended from the initial 6 months for a further 6 months due to fiance's health issues. Would like to get married and stay in the US without having to return to home country. Is this possible with entering on a visa waiver?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

12

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

2. Simone Bertollini

2

Answered . If you already knew you were not going to leave when you entered with the Visa Waiver Program, your case might be investigated for Visa fraud. You need to consult with an immigration attorney.

3. Irene Vaisman

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. I would return home and wait.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  4. Daniel E. Green

1

Answered . Persons entering on the visa waiver, or ESTA, as it is now known, cannot extend status. There may be visa fraud issues in your case, depending on the chronology of your relationship and what facts you have disclosed to U.S. consulate(s) abroad and Customs and Border Protection at your port(s) of entry.

Consult with a competent attorney or BIA-accredited representative before taking any steps towards adjustment of status and before leaving the U.S.

-Dan

Daniel Green, Esq.
    845-853-7302/347-245-7078
    Serving the Hudson Valley, Northeast, and the World Beyond
    www.hudsonvalleyimmigrationlaw.com
    lawyer@hudsonvalleyimmigrationlaw.com
    Location: 684 Aaron Court, Kingston, NY
    Mailing Address: PO Box 3238, Kingston, NY 12402

5. Veronica Tunitsky

1

Answered . Your fiancée visa filing prior to your arrival is likely to trigger an immigrant intent finding and potentially unravel your whole case. You should probably continue with what you've initiated and do it properly.