Can you change/amend/correct your name in your DD Form 214?

Asked over 1 year ago - Whittier, CA

I am retired military personnel. Recently, I printed a copy of my DD 214 from eBenefits website and compare it to the copy I got two years ago which is a poorly printed copy. My middle name starts with letter "E" but was horrified to learn that the official DD Form I signed has it started with letter "B", The difference between "E" and "B" is almost unrecognizable due to the poor quality of printing that I honestly thought everything is correct before signing it. Besides, the name blocks are gray shaded that you need a good printer with good ink toner to print documents legibly. Also, there is another award that I need to declare that was not on the official DD Form 214 which I believed can be corrected.

1. John Daniel Hafemann

1

Answered . In order to have your DD214 corrected you have to file a DD149 with the Army Review Boards Agency in Washington D.C. My office handles these types of matters on a regular basis. Feel free to give me a call. The initial consult is free. Good luck.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

2

Answered . You can correct using a form available online (DD149). Government will issue a DD-215 (correction to DD 214) with the correct info on it. Some folks can do it themselves. Some hire an attorney to cover all the bases for them. You'll likely need to document your award--you can't simply 'declare' that you earned it.

3. Philip Douglas Cave

Pro

1

Answered . Yes.
    http://arba.army.pentagon.mil/abcmr-overview.cfm