Can you change a deed with joint tenancy with rights of survivorship thru a quit claim to terminate that for one of the parties?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cocoa, FL

my home was orginially deeded joint tenants with rights of survivorship. The other party filed a quit claim deed changing the wording and terminating the joint tenancy with rigts of survivorship. This was done without my consent or knowledge. Is it legal

1. Marshall C Deason Jr.

Pro

7

Answered . The other co-owner of your property cannot reduce your undivided 1/2 interest in the property without your consent. However, the other co-owner can convert the joint tenancy with the right of survivorship to a tenancy in common (no survivorship) without your consent by executing a deed. If you are unsure of your rights as a co-owner of property or if you want a review of your deed rather than a generic answer, you should consult an experienced real estate lawyer in your area.

2. Michael T Millar

Pro

1

Answered . As a general rule, a joint tenant can "destroy" the joint tenancy by filing a deed as tenant in common or by conveying an interest in the property to another.

I am not a FL attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.

3. Shawn B Alexander

Pro

Answered . I agree with the previous answer and the change would only be effective on the parties who signed the quit claim deed not the others. You should take what you have to a local lawyer if you need more information.
    Good Luck