Skip to main content

Can you change a deed with joint tenancy with rights of survivorship thru a quit claim to terminate that for one of the parties?

Cocoa, FL |

my home was orginially deeded joint tenants with rights of survivorship. The other party filed a quit claim deed changing the wording and terminating the joint tenancy with rigts of survivorship. This was done without my consent or knowledge. Is it legal

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The other co-owner of your property cannot reduce your undivided 1/2 interest in the property without your consent. However, the other co-owner can convert the joint tenancy with the right of survivorship to a tenancy in common (no survivorship) without your consent by executing a deed. If you are unsure of your rights as a co-owner of property or if you want a review of your deed rather than a generic answer, you should consult an experienced real estate lawyer in your area.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Actual legal advice can only be provided after completing a comprehensive consultation in which all of the relevant facts are discussed and reviewed.


I agree with the previous answer and the change would only be effective on the parties who signed the quit claim deed not the others. You should take what you have to a local lawyer if you need more information.
Good Luck

Please be sure to indicate the best answer. If this answer was helpful, please mark as helpful below. Only. If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes


As a general rule, a joint tenant can "destroy" the joint tenancy by filing a deed as tenant in common or by conveying an interest in the property to another.

I am not a FL attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer