Can you break a verbal contract?

Bucyrus, OH |

My sister was told that she would no longer have her job two weeks before school starts.
The priest told her that it was finances, however, she accepted a verbal contract. They failed to provide her a written contract or the other teachers (required for amounts over $500). He says there is a clause in the written contract that allows them to do this. How would she know? She doesn't have a written contract. You don't let someone go two weeks before school starts. She needs compensation. I have already spoken with the priest and told him this is just unethical. I could use some advice on the best way to proceed in this case. Thank-you.

1. In most situations, employment is at will and can be terminated at any time for any reason or no reason at all. The question here is not whether it violates that statute of frauds, but whether or not there was a contract of employment that would somehow take it out of employment at will.

This response does not create an attorney client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Only a lawyer fully versed on the facts and circumstances of your case can properly advise you on the case. I am licensed to practice in Minnesota, not every state. You should always consult with an attorney licensed in your area on how best to proceed.

Business topics