Can you be sued twice for the same debt from the same debt collector?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Baltimore, MD

Just won my case against the debt collection company due to them not having enough information that they bought the account (i.e. billing of sale). So the ruling was for the defendant.

1. Robinson Sean Rowe

2

Answered . No. You get one "bite at the apple" so to speak. Great job !

2. Mark William Oakley

2

Answered . Unless by "won" you mean the court dismissed, or allowed the creditor to dismiss, the case against you without prejudice. In that case they could re-file. Otherwise, a judgment in your favor is final, and establishes the legal bar of "res judicata" which bars further prosecution of the case anywhere.

3. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. However, I'll add that a judgment is not final until the appeal period has expired. Typically after entry of a judgment, there is a certain window of time which allow for an appeal.