Can you be sued twice for the same debt from the same debt collector?

Baltimore, MD |

Just won my case against the debt collection company due to them not having enough information that they bought the account (i.e. billing of sale). So the ruling was for the defendant.

1. No. You get one "bite at the apple" so to speak. Great job !

2. Unless by "won" you mean the court dismissed, or allowed the creditor to dismiss, the case against you without prejudice. In that case they could re-file. Otherwise, a judgment in your favor is final, and establishes the legal bar of "res judicata" which bars further prosecution of the case anywhere.

3. I agree with my colleagues. However, I'll add that a judgment is not final until the appeal period has expired. Typically after entry of a judgment, there is a certain window of time which allow for an appeal.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.