Can you be sued for not paying a credit card debt?

Asked over 4 years ago - Dallas, PA

I went through a debt reduction service, who then went out of business. They said I could not be sued for a debt that was charged off. Is this true?

1. David J. Harris

Answered . Unfortunately, you can be sued for a debt that is charged off, as a charge off is simply an accounting entry of a business or bank for regulatory or tax purposes. In Pennsylvania, an obligation can expire, however, after the statute of limitations has run. Note that collectors will sometimes continue to pursue collection even when the debt is no longer enforceable.

2. Daniel Andrew Pallen

Answered . No. You can be sued in court for not paying the credit card debt. The collector of the debt will have to satisfy numerous procedural and evidentiary requirements, however, in order to obtain a judgment against you.

Please contact our offices if we can be of further assistance: (610) 566-1006

www.benarilaw.com