Can you be pardoned as a sex offender in Ohio?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dayton, OH

I know someone that downloaded pornography and in it happened to be child pornography. He was sentenced to registering for 25 years as a sex offender. He is going to finish up probation, and he hasn't gotten into any further trouble. This was his first offense and first time in trouble with the law.

1. John Maurice Holcomb

3

Answered . The Governor can issue a pardon, but it's highly unlikely.

2. Christopher Lee Beck

Pro

2

Answered . The official answer is yes however the more realistic answer is probably not. I would give it less than 1 % chance until many years after the offense and his probation are completed. There are only a few attorneys that I would classify as competent to handle a pardon and it would be costly. I doubt it would cost as high as what has been quoted here but it would be in the thousands of dollars with no guaranteed outcome.

Attorney Chris Beck
    Dayton, Ohio Attorney
    www.becklawofficellc.com

3. Dennis Armand DiMartino

Pro

1

Answered . Your question asks can you be pardoned as a sex offender; the technical answer is "Yes." But given the fact that pardons are incredibly difficult, rare, and expensive, it is highly unlikely that a Governor or President would issue a pardon for that type of crime. I would guesstimate that you would spend $50,000 in an attempt to secure a pardon with absolutely no guarantees of ever winning it. For those reasons, I will suggest that unless your friend is extremely rich or politically connected with the elite of our government, a pardon is unlikely for him.

I hope this answers your question.

Atty. Dennis A. DiMartino
    1032 Boardman-Canfield Rd.
    Suite 103
    Youngstown, Ohio 44512-4238
    Phone: 330.629.9030 Ext. 6
    FAX: 330.629.9036
    Dennis.DiMartino@gmail.com

4. Ian Nathan Friedman

1

Answered . In Ohio at this time a state offense related to the possession or distribution of child pornography is considered a crime of violence and is not eligible for sealing of the record. It is extremely unlikely that the governor would look beyond that and pardon the gentleman. I do not think it would be a politically acceptable move so I would be weiry of spending a lot to try. Technically, it is possible but I would not be at all confident.