Can you be pardoned as a sex offender in Ohio?

Dayton, OH |

I know someone that downloaded pornography and in it happened to be child pornography. He was sentenced to registering for 25 years as a sex offender. He is going to finish up probation, and he hasn't gotten into any further trouble. This was his first offense and first time in trouble with the law.

1. Your question asks can you be pardoned as a sex offender; the technical answer is "Yes." But given the fact that pardons are incredibly difficult, rare, and expensive, it is highly unlikely that a Governor or President would issue a pardon for that type of crime. I would guesstimate that you would spend $50,000 in an attempt to secure a pardon with absolutely no guarantees of ever winning it. For those reasons, I will suggest that unless your friend is extremely rich or politically connected with the elite of our government, a pardon is unlikely for him.

I hope this answers your question.

Atty. Dennis A. DiMartino
    1032 Boardman-Canfield Rd.
    Suite 103
    Youngstown, Ohio 44512-4238
    Phone: 330.629.9030 Ext. 6
    FAX: 330.629.9036
    Dennis.DiMartino@gmail.com

The above information is shared for educational and discussion purposes only. No Attorney-Client relationship is intended or established through your reliance on the information provided. If your legal rights could be impacted by using this information, you are urged to seek legal counsel before taking action. Atty. Dennis A. DiMartino 1032 Boardman-Canfield Road Suite 103 Youngstown, OH 44512-4238 330.629.9030 Ext. 111 Phone 330.629.9036 FAX Dennis.DiMartino@gmail.com

2. The Governor can issue a pardon, but it's highly unlikely.

3. The official answer is yes however the more realistic answer is probably not. I would give it less than 1 % chance until many years after the offense and his probation are completed. There are only a few attorneys that I would classify as competent to handle a pardon and it would be costly. I doubt it would cost as high as what has been quoted here but it would be in the thousands of dollars with no guaranteed outcome.

Attorney Chris Beck
    Dayton, Ohio Attorney
    www.becklawofficellc.com

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

4. In Ohio at this time a state offense related to the possession or distribution of child pornography is considered a crime of violence and is not eligible for sealing of the record. It is extremely unlikely that the governor would look beyond that and pardon the gentleman. I do not think it would be a politically acceptable move so I would be weiry of spending a lot to try. Technically, it is possible but I would not be at all confident.

Friedman & Frey LLC., is a Cleveland based criminal defense law firm. As a service to the community, responses to questions posted on AVVO are routinely provided. Please know that any response is general in nature and is not intended to be binding on any specific case and/or legal matter. Responses are not intended to be the basis for any specific reliance or to be a substitute for actual consultation with legal counsel. Friedman & Frey LLC., hopes that responsive posts are merely helpful guides. Any response and/or communication does not bind any party to an attorney-client relationship. For more information or guidance, please feel free to visit us at www.faflegal.com or call 216.701.1072. Thank you.