Can you be in section 8 If you're fixing papers?

Asked almost 2 years ago - El Paso, TX

Im 29 my dad was.a US citizen. He past away when i was 9. I have been with my kids father for 11 years, but we're not married. I've been here in the US since I was a baby. What's the best way to go about fixing my papers?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If your significant other is a US citizen, he can sponsor you for a green card.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Rebecca Saldana

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Was your dad born here or did he naturalize? Also when you arrived in the USA did you arrive legally or with any sort of visa?

  3. Javier G Pineda

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Shusterman and will add that if your dad was a US citizen at birth or he naturalized before you were born, you may have a citizenship claim. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

    714-560-0040. The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,078 answers this week

3,051 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,078 answers this week

3,051 attorneys answering