Can you be fired for missing work due to bad weather?

Philadelphia, PA |

My daughter just was fired from her job because she missed 2 days work due to bad snow in her area. Her street in Philadelphia is not plowed and she has a new born baby to drop off for day care. She could not make it to work. When she went in....following these days, she was fired. Another point is that her boss is a womenizer and harrases all the young girls for sex, and since she did not respond to his advances, he had a grudge against her.

1. Yes, it is rotten but true.

As an at-will employee in Philadelphia, you can quit at any time for any reason, you can be fired for any reason, a rotten reason, or no reason, except unlawful discrimination. If you do not have an employment contract or union to represent you, your recourse is limited. Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious beliefs etc.... may give rise to a different answer.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Workplace Discrimination: A Basis for Wrongful Termination Claims"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/workplace-discrimination-a-basis-for-wrongful-termination-claims

If you have a discrimination theory about retaliatory discharge or hostile workplace conditions you'll need a lawyer. Religious belief, age, gender, race etc. all are discriminatory reasons for which you cannot be legally fired and upon which you might base a wrongful termination suit.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose a Lawyer for you.”

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-choose-a-lawyer-for-you

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer"?

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-tell-my-lawyer

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot find out any details. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless. Best of luck to you.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the Thumbs-Up tab at the bottom. You may mark this as a Best Answer for the time I spent crafting this and thinking about your matter.

2. This sounds like a classic case of sex discrimination. It could be that missing work due to bad weather was a pretext for firing your daughter--the real reason could have been because she did not respond to her boss's advances. You daughter should contact an experienced employment attorney to review her case. At a very minimum, she should contact the EEOC in Philadelphia.

Best of luck!

Jennifer J. Hanlin
    Attorney at Law
    937 North Hill Drive
    West Chester, PA 19380
    610.431.2225 tel
    484.631.0803 fax
    www.jjhanlinlaw.com

Office locations in Philadelphia, West Chester, Exton, Radnor, Bala Cynwyd, King of Prussia, and Plymouth Meeting