Can you be fired for hear say

Brooklyn, NY |

i was let go for hear say that one person said i said i never even had a convo with this guy is this agaisnt the law

1. Unless you are a union employee, employment in NYS is at will, which means you can quit at any time or you can be dismissed at any time. It is against the law to fire someone because of age, gender, sexual orientation etc. You can file a complaint with the NYS department of labor, but they may not consider what was done to you illegal.
    On my profile there are several legal guides. I recommend reviewing the following which may be helpful to you:

Hiring a lawyer; Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?...Understanding the different court systems;
    Legal terms used in litigation………………………………………………………..

Employer/Employee Disputes

LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.

2. If you'd like to discuss the true reason for the termination you should contact an employment lawyer such as myself.