Can you be deported for a class B misdemeanor?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Houston, TX

I was charged with a class B misdemeanor and given deferred adjudication with no jail time. This was my first offense, I've never been in trouble with the law before, could I be deported? And I am permanent resident right now.

The misdemeanor was for theft, and the deferred was 3 month.

1. Robert Hampton Tuthill

Answered . it will depend on what the offense was and how long the deferred was. This is a question you should have been asking prior to accepting a plea bargain.

2. Isaul Verdin

Answered . A class B misdemeanor for theft without any jail sentence and if this is your only crime, then you are NOT deportable. You are ok. However, please be careful in future situations to consult with both a criminal defense attorney and an immigration lawyer before pleading to any charge.

3. Herman Martinez

Pro

Answered . The green plea paper that you signed before you went before the judge states that a criminal case that you are pleading to may affect your immigration. You may get a copy of the paperwork from the County Clerk's Office to confirm.