Can you be denied employment based on a pending felony charge?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

I was given a job contract for a great job (with a start date in 6 months, full time hire), accepted it, and ~3 months later I was charged with a 2nd degree and 4th degree felony. So when I began the job it was ~3 months after being charged but the case is still pending with no court dates assigned yet. The company didn't run the background check though until I began working, so they saw the charges and terminated me after being there for two weeks due to my background check (not due to lying on my application, as I did not).

I have done some reading, specifically the NYS Human Rights Law, and was wondering if I was wrongfully terminated. I was technically terminated by the outsourced HR company, my employer liked me a lot but said that he had to do it. Any advice?

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

Answered . Consultation with a local employment lawyer. Is it worth suing if you have a good relationship with an outsourcing company?

2. Vincent Peter White

3

Answered . You may have viable claims, especially if your employment was within New York City. I would arrange a free consultation with an experienced employment attorney near you.

3. James K. Lyder

3

Answered . You are not protected by NYS Human Rights Law (Executive Law 296(16)) since the charges are pending. What your employer did appears to be legal to me. I would suggest that if the charges are resolved in your favor (dismissal or acquittal) you reapply.