Skip to main content

Can you be charged with a crime when there is no proof, just heresay?

South Bend, IN |

I have been charged with a sexual offense and have hospital records to prove crime never happened, can they charge me on just heresay alone?

the people that were talked to in the investigation are lying as well, and have no proof to backup their statements. They never witnessed me doing anything inappropriate, cause I never did anything that I'm being accused of. Detective just found out the witness he talked to made false statements against me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Witness testimony can make up the evidence for the prosecutor to prove the case.

Hearsay is inadmissible evidence. Please know, however, there are numerous hearsay exceptions that may be used to get out of court spoken evidence admitted into a criminal trial to prove the matter asserted in the words that were spoken. Documents are hearsay evidence, too, but many ways exist for the prosecutor to admit document evidence into a court trial to prove guilt of a criminal.

Hire a lawyer to explain hearsay exceptions. There are thousands of legal textbook examples to go through.


People get convicted of crimes with only circumstantial evidence all the time. It sounds like the government has eye witnesses who are willing to testify that they saw you. This is more than enough to charge someone with a crime. If the witnesses are lying, as you contend they are, then your lawyer should be able to discredit them on the witness stand.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.


Hearsay is not admissible in a trial usually but a number of hearsay exceptions do exist. A prosecutor's case is frequently made of solely witness testimony. Furthermore, documents may be considered to be hearsay under certain circumstances. You should contact a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible regarding your case. Being charged with a sexual offense is a serious matter. You should professional representation for this type of a case.

Juan Garcia Jr.
Attorney At Law

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer