Can you be arraigned after an indictment without being arrested in the first place ?

Asked 10 months ago - Glens Falls, NY

My husband was indicted for 1 count of burglary, 1 count of grand larceny and various misdemeanors and was arraigned after the indictment but was never formally charged. No arrest, no picture, no fingerprints, nothing! Just arraignment and bail was set.

1. Howard A. Schwartz

4

Answered . Not quite sure of your question. The prosecutor can do a direct presentment to a grand jury and obtain an indictment prior to an arrest being made. Good luck.

2. Latrice Vinell Campbell

3

Answered . Mr. Schwartz is correct. I agree with his answer. The prosecutor probably did a direct presentation and that is why there was no arrest. Your husband's defense attorney is the person who would be able to confirm this.

3. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

Answered . Yes---it's called a "direct presentment" indictment. They are arrested on the warrant that was issued after the indictment was voted. After the arrest, the rest should have been done.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

4. Louis Lawrence Sternberg

Pro

1

Answered . There is nothing improper about what you've described. Hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you going forward.

5. Marco Caviglia

Pro

Answered . The indictment is the formal charge. The processing can be done later (i.e. fingerprinting, etc.) which was not done immediately since he is already in custody on unrelated charges.

6. Stephen Charles Cooper

Answered . You can be charged with an indictment and arraigen without being arrested on a complaint. Normally, you are arrested and fingerprinted before arraignment on an indictment. I can only assume that in Glen Falls, you were arraigned before a local judge who had no authority to grant bail or fix bail. Its unusual.