Can you be a single member LLC even though you hire people to work for equity?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

Would these people be considered IC?

And if so, you dont have to alter the operating agreement correct?

1. Michael Charles Doland

4

Answered . If you have no experience issuing securities you should not do this without an attorney. Improperly issued securities (equity) can have very severe employment law and securities law reprocussions.

2. Eric J Camm

5

Answered . If they are receiving equity then it sounds like they would be becoming members in the LLC. At that point you would no longer be a single member LLC.

You may want to meet with an attorney to go over your plans in more detail and discuss how you are defining the "equity" that you are planning on giving out.

3. Dana Howard Shultz

1

Answered . There are different ways this issue could be addressed - most notably, different ways people could "work for equity".

A central question is when and how the equity interest is granted. if they work now and receive the equity interest later, then it is possible they would be independent contractors (at the beginning).

However, once an equity interest is granted, then, as Attorney Camm noted, the workers become members. At that point, the Operating Agreement must be updated accordingly.

Meanwhile, you need to ensure that whatever the workers' relationships to the LLC, they have signed agreements assigning to the LLC all rights to whatever they produce, including all associated intellectual property rights.

I agree with my colleagues that you should retain a lawyer to help you with this type of matter. The likelihood you can handle this properly on your own is somewhere near zero.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Stephen Joseph Cipolla

1

Answered . This is a state specific matter that could have significant consequences. You should consult a CA lawyer who is experienced in setting up LLCs.

5. John P Corrigan

1

Answered . You could still be a SMLLC if the grant of "equity" is an option to acquire a membership interest or possibly phantom equity which has economic value but not same thing as legally being a member. What documents do you have in place already because you also need to understand that Sec. 83 of the IRC can have adverse tax results to the people you granted equity....depending on the type of equity (which you have not elaborated sufficiently). You are messing with complex areas so I strongly suggest you speak with a business/tax lawyer to figure out what you have done right and wrong in setting up your plan to share the wealth.