Can you ask a bankruptcy court to keep certain personal financial records private and away from creditor?

Flushing, NY |

Creditor keep making false accusations and is making it harder for debtor to have a fair shot in Court and debtor feels threatened by creditor harsh remarks and threats that he will seek sanctions against Creditor.

1. Bankruptcy Court records are public records. That is a price to pay for a discharge of debt. It is a very high bar for a Court to seal documents, such as for the protection of children. "Harsh remarks" and disputes with creditors are regular occurrences.

2. All documents you file with the court are public record. But, any document you give to the trustee is unlikely to become public. I hope you are hiring a BK attorney to handle your bankruptcy.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

3. The court records are generally public.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. Bankruptcy is for the honest but unfortunate debtor. Any documents filed with the Bankruptcy Court become public documents. Any documents provided to the Trustee may be made public depending upon what the trustee discovers.