Can you ask a bankruptcy court to keep certain personal financial records private and away from creditor?

Asked about 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

Creditor keep making false accusations and is making it harder for debtor to have a fair shot in Court and debtor feels threatened by creditor harsh remarks and threats that he will seek sanctions against Creditor.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . The court records are generally public.

2. Scott Benjamin Riddle

3

Answered . Bankruptcy Court records are public records. That is a price to pay for a discharge of debt. It is a very high bar for a Court to seal documents, such as for the protection of children. "Harsh remarks" and disputes with creditors are regular occurrences.

3. Scott R. Schneider

Pro

1

Answered . Bankruptcy is for the honest but unfortunate debtor. Any documents filed with the Bankruptcy Court become public documents. Any documents provided to the Trustee may be made public depending upon what the trustee discovers.

4. Diane L Gruber

Pro

1

Answered . All documents you file with the court are public record. But, any document you give to the trustee is unlikely to become public. I hope you are hiring a BK attorney to handle your bankruptcy.