Skip to main content

Can you apply for an E-2 Visa from Brazil with a French Passport?

Orlando, FL |

Permanent residency form Brazil, and a passport from France. Can you apply at the consulate in Rio or Sao Paolo for an E-2 investor visa using the French citizenship? Or do you have to go back to France?

Attorney Answers 8

  1. The quickest answer would be to contact the U.S. embassy directly. My experience in the past is when they said one could apply there, once the person applied they were told they could not apply.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  2. Ask the US Embassy in Brazil if they would be willing to accept your an application. Please see

    Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. You may seek such application on merits, yet, the location in the foreign country would raise a red flag in my opinion.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

  4. Bonjour,
    You should be able to apply in Rio, but it's best to contact them via email and ask them. I have applied for an E-2 visa for French citizens in Tel Aviv, Israel, without any problems. Each US consulate should make the same accommodation, but you never know. Each US consulate abroad has its own "modus opernadi". On this, however,'they should all agree, but you never know. It pays to know in advance.
    Bonne année!

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  5. Check the consulate website and email mail them for guidance. Each consulate is permitted to accept application from 3rd country nationals but is not required to do so.

  6. Many Consulates will allow this. I agree with my colleagues that you should call the Rio Consulate to double check. Kind regards.

    Please note, the above answer is for general informational purposes only.

  7. It is possible, but may not be advisable. I would recommend that you meet with a qualified US attorney to discuss the individual details of your case, including the best place to apply.

    Answers provided by Ksenia Maiorova, Esq. on are of a general nature and do not constitute legal advice.

  8. As a general rule, a consulate office can take jurisdiction of a visa applicant if the applicant resides in that country. Please consult with an experienced immigration attorney about the specifics of your case. best regards,

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics