Can you apply for a future internship when you are in the US with a tourist visa ?

Asked 9 months ago - Albany, NY

I wanna come back to the US in a couple of months to make my internship. I know it's better for your future employers to be able to meet you in person. Is it ok to do so ?

How long does it take to get an intern visa by the local US embassy? And what is the maximum duration of an internship covered by an intern visa ?

Thanks a lot !

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Harry Asatrian


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You ask very good questions. It really depends on the internship program as far as duration, which range from several months to a maximum of 18 months. Normally, visa processing depending on the consulate should take several days unless you are subject to administrative processing, which may significantly delay the process. I hope this was helpful to you and good luck!

    Mr. Asatrian's practice is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information... more
  2. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You can seek an internship while in the U.S. so long as you do not start the internship until you have the appropriate visa. The length if internship will depend upon the program. The maximum would be 18 months. Visa processing varies from embassy to embassy. It could be anywhere from a week or months.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Yes, you can talk to people while in the US.

    You need to find a program sponsor .... they will assist with processing.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,963 answers this week

2,962 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,963 answers this week

2,962 attorneys answering