Can you apply for a future internship when you are in the US with a tourist visa ?

Albany, NY |
Filed under: US visas

I wanna come back to the US in a couple of months to make my internship. I know it's better for your future employers to be able to meet you in person. Is it ok to do so ?

How long does it take to get an intern visa by the local US embassy? And what is the maximum duration of an internship covered by an intern visa ?

Thanks a lot !

You ask very good questions. It really depends on the internship program as far as duration, which range from several months to a maximum of 18 months. Normally, visa processing depending on the consulate should take several days unless you are subject to administrative processing, which may significantly delay the process. I hope this was helpful to you and good luck!

Mr. Asatrian's practice is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information provided herein does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such by anyone. It should not be relied upon as legal advice as more specific facts, research and analysis may be required to formulate a proper strategy and action in your matter. Please note this does not create an attorney-client relationship whatsoever. You should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to review your matter thoroughly and gather all of the necessary information and documentation to provide you with the best possible legal solution.

You can seek an internship while in the U.S. so long as you do not start the internship until you have the appropriate visa. The length if internship will depend upon the program. The maximum would be 18 months. Visa processing varies from embassy to embassy. It could be anywhere from a week or months.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.

Yes, you can talk to people while in the US.

You need to find a program sponsor .... they will assist with processing.

http://j1visa.state.gov/participants/how-to-apply/sponsor-search/

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.