Can you answer a question of constitutionality in regards to sales tax?

Asked about 2 years ago - Fitchburg, MA

Can a portion of the MA sales tax be set up to permanently fund the department of early education and care?

1. 9

Answered . I don't see why that would be a problem. The MBTA has been funded this way since 2000.

2. 9

Answered . I don't understand the "constitutional" part. It is not unconstitutional under the US Constitution for states to determine how they will use their tax proceeds. They cannot make defense expenditures or anything disallowed to states by the Constitution, but there are few restraints beyond the ones explicitly stated.

Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    Tax Lawyer
    Tax Attorney
    Tax Attorney Renton WA
    Tax Attorney Edmonds WA
    Tax Attorney Redmond WA
    Tax Attorney Snohomish WA
    Tax Attorney Washington State
    Tax Attorney Port Orchard WA
    Tax Attorney Tacoma WA
    Tax Attorney Tukwila WA
    Tax Attorney Seattle WA
    Tax Attorney Bellevue WA
    Tax Attorney Everett WA

3. 5

Answered . State taxes are for states to determine for themselves--the Constitution is not implicated in the situation you describe.